Thursday, December 31, 2015

Hike #51 - West Wing - Peoria AZ

Hike #51

Date: December 31
Hikers: Me and Megan

Location:  Peoria, AZ
Distance: ~3.82 miles
Rating: Moderate
Time: 1 hour 47 minutes
 
TrailheadLink:https://www.peoriaaz.gov/uploadedFiles/Peoriaaz/Departments/Community_Services/River_Trails/NewRiverTrail2011Map_300.pdf

WOW!  Finally New Hike #51!  Just in the nick of time.  Happy New Year's Eve!

I saved this one since I knew it was close by, looked like fun and could include a visit to my parents house.

Megan is along for this hike.  I read about it when I did the other hikes on Saturday.  I knew I could park in the park off the main road or go into the neighborhood.  I decided to park in the neighborhood off High Desert St which was exactly where the trail head starts.  Later we saw we could be closer by parking in a cul de sac. But this was OK!

I can honestly say I loved this hike.  Great variety and a good workout.  Not many on this trail.  As I have said in other posts.  It is crazy everyone flocks to Piestewa, Camelback and Pinnacle.  There are so many hikes with great workouts that give you the opportunity to see other parts of the valley.  GO EXPLORE MORE!  (If you are reading this an a hiker)

Some of this trail has loose rock.  AllTrails said it was Easy.  I don't care who you are or how young you are. It is not easy for the reason of the loose rock in some places.

We started at this small park and walked through the neighborhood.  Basically in peoples side yards.  Some nice houses in the area.  We finally hit the trail at a cul de sac.

This guy took off fast from us. Never saw him again.

Sunrise Mountain. I did that on Sunday. 






We chose to do the hike counter clockwise. The signs said Less Difficult.  Not knowing the area we thought that was the best move.  Having had ankle issues this year I was not up for twisting my ankle.  We saw several families. Once you are at the top it flattens out as you head East. 

 This is the far east side before heading up the North side.  It was a nice hike up.

A lady and her two dogs. They were named after characters in How to Train your Dragon.  Very cute! 


Imagine Dragons - "I'm on top of the world" is the song we sang while hiking.  What a great way to spend the last day of 2015!! 

Heading back down still on North side.  Can pick the route you want. 
We saw a guy off trail bushwhacking.  That has mountain rescue written all over it!  

Someone stole my hat because she was getting sunburnt 

Accomplished!
Hike #51
I really enjoyed this hike!  It was fun.  This is my last hike of the year and my goal of 51 new hikes.  It was fun.  Hard to find hikes I have not done or areas that I have done most trails.  I don't want the pressure to find 52 new hikes in 2016 so maybe 52 new bars?  Joking!

Won't stop hiking! 
Happy New Year!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment